In addition to the undertakings which we give you here, please note that we are registered data controllers and we are bound by market research and mystery shopping professional codes of conduct.
This policy describes the type of personal data that we collect, the security measures in place to protect your data and the other parties that we may share the information with and why.
- Information MTC MARKETING RESEARCH SOLUTIONS may collect about you.
- How the information we collect about you, will be used by MTC MARKETING RESEARCH SOLUTIONS
- When MTC MARKETING RESEARCH SOLUTIONS may use your details to contact you.
- Whether MTC MARKETING RESEARCH SOLUTIONS will disclose your details to third parties.
- Your choices regarding the personal information you choose to provide.
What information will we collect about you?
When you register to become a mystery shopper, through our websites or mobile application, we ask you to provide certain Personal Data.
We collect your personal information - contact information and other information that identifies you personally including your name, address, email address, postal address, phone number, date of birth, occupation, education, and gender, so that we can match you to particular shopping assignments.
We ask for personal information about you when you sign up to participate in or receive a service from any of our websites, such as register for newsletters, blog, Webinars, competitions, live chats and message boards. Different webpages or clients may ask for different personal information. By entering your details in the fields requested, you enable us and our service providers to provide you with the surveys or shops you elect to participate in.
General Data Regulations:
Sometimes, depending on data requirements by clients, you may be asked to provide sensitive Personal Data about you. For such information, we are required by law to obtain your explicit consent to the processing of such sensitive Personal Data that possibly discloses or reveals health and medical conditions, sexual orientation or sexual life, political opinions/views, race/ethnic origin, religious and philosophical beliefs and trade-union memberships. We also have to obtain your explicit consent to the processing of your sensitive Personal Data.
Required vis a vis optional data:
Certain personal data we may ask for, such as your name and birthdate, are necessary for us to provide you with our services. Specific other personal data we may ask for, such as your GPS location information, is optional. However, if you elect not to provide the optional personal data, our ability to offer you service opportunities may be limited.
Information from third-parties:
Where we obtain personal data about you from a third party, we will share with you the categories of the personal data, and, to the extent possible, the sources.
Purpose and legal basis of the processing:
- We collect and process your data to provide our services to you and as requested in your contracts with us, such as providing you with opportunities for mystery shopping or audit services. We will only process that data you provide about yourself, in a manner that is lawful, fair and transparent.
- We process it in a manner that ensures appropriate security of your data, including protection against unauthorised, unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction, or damage.
- We will limit the personal data we collect to information that is necessary and relevant and limited to the purpose for which it is needed, such as mystery shopping opportunities, or various audit services we may provide, to our clients. We will not process personal data in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes.
- We will give you the ability to ensure that the information is accurate and kept up-to-date, as well as the right to change it or erase it without undue delay.
- Where necessary, we may also collect personal data from you where you have given specific consent, or in connection with legal obligations or our legitimate business interests.
- In addition to the information you voluntarily provide to us, we use "cookies," which are small text files placed and when you accept them, they get placed on your hard drive. To improve our site, to recognise you on return visits to the website especially if you are a registered shopper, cookies remember your preferences and registration information.
- The cookies do not link the information we store to any personally identifiable information you submit to us but recognises your computer’s IP address. You can set up your web browser to inform you when cookies are set or to prevent cookies from being set. However, if you prevent this, you might not be able to use the Mystery Shopping portal as it will not recognise you as a registered shopper.
- With your consent, we may collect your location information for the above purposes using the geo verification codes. If you do not wish to share your geo-location information with us, please change your privacy settings. Where required by law, we obtain your consent to share your location information with third parties if there is need to. We may use your location information to offer you the option to participate in location-based surveys and market research studies. We may also share such location data with third party clients to demonstrate certain location traffic patterns of participants, and location purchasing behaviour and visits.
Who will access your personal data?
- You may have the opportunity to access the Services through third party platforms such as social media, and if you prefer to access services in this manner. If you do, we may collect certain profile information stored in your social media platform account, such as name, gender, email address and other information.
- In some cases, our websites may contain hyperlinks to websites owned and operated by third parties. These third-party websites have their own privacy policies, including cookies, and we urge you to review them in these instances. They will govern the use of personal information you submit or are collected by cookies whilst visiting these websites.
- We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of such third-party websites and your use of such websites is at your own risk.
Categories of recipients of your personal data:
- Our internal staff will access the personal data you provide to provide our services to you, and for other administrative business reasons.
- We may engage data processors to help provide data processing services in conjunction with providing our services to you or our clients including systems, backups, and archives, which could be off-site.
- We may transfer your data to governmental authorities if for any reason, are required by law to do so, under any circumstances. MTC Marketing Research Solutions will, for example, respond to requests from authorities such as a Court, regulatory agency, public authorities and law enforcement agencies.
- We may transmit your data to processors in a third country not yet deemed to provide adequate protection laws within the meaning of the GDPR. We will only do so where we have agreements in place with each such processor to ensure that personal data transferred with appropriate or suitable safeguards following the requirements of the GDPR.
- We may disclose personal data about you to companies you perform mystery shops, audits, or other services. Since from time to time, MTC MARKETING RESEARCH SOLUTIONS’ Clients may require to know the profiles of the shoppers for clearance reasons, especially when the projects are considered complex, or sensitive and as a result, there is a requirement by our Client that you sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA).
- The Contractor now authorises MTC MARKETING RESEARCH SOLUTIONS (“The Company”), to share CONTRACTOR PROFILE (“IC profile”) with such clients. Contractor further approves other mystery shopping companies who follow same or similar professional guidelines as the MSPA or MRS, to have access to the profile so that such client or company can approve the shopper if they need to do so.
Using your personal data:
If you are located in the European Economic Area, we may collect and use your Personal Data when:
- You consented to the use of your Personal Data. For example, we may seek to obtain your consent for our uses of cookies or similar technologies, to send you marketing communications, or to process Personal Data deemed sensitive pursuant to applicable law.
- Necessary to provide you with products and services, or to respond to your inquiries.
- We are required or authorized by applicable law to use your Personal Data.
We may use the Personal Data we obtain from or about you for a variety of purposes, including:
- To offer you the opportunity to participate in research activities, including to participate in surveys administered by MTC MARKETING RESEARCH SOLUTIONS and its clients or by third parties.
- To administer, manage, fulfil, facilitate entry into, and communicate about mystery shops, rewards, incentive programs and other promotions, offered in connection with completion of shops or surveys.
- To communicate with you regarding available shops or to send you notifications of tailored survey and shop opportunities.
- To update records, perform data analyses for research purposes for our clients.
- To provide better survey experience, including validation, quality control, tracking of completed shops, surveys or other completed project actions.
- To detect and prevent fraud
- To ensure safety and security
- To comply with our legal obligations, including tax obligations, or protect our rights.
Storage of data:
We will retain your data for as long as necessary to continue providing you with the services requested, including R&D, and for archiving, and legal compliance purposes. The period for which personal data is stored is found in our data retention policy, and it states that it requires you in turn, to save all notes and documentation for an assignment at a minimum of ninety (90) days after the shop due date, before discarding such documentation or project materials. You, therefore, agree to provide MTC MARKETING RESEARCH SOLUTIONS with copies of SHOP documents/ Project materials in raw data upon request during the retention period.
In order to process information supplied by you to us it may be necessary to transfer your information to servers, which may be located outside your country of residence. By using OUR website and submitting your application to be a mystery shopper, and participating in the program, you consent to this transfer of your personal information worldwide.
We ensure confidentiality in the transmission of business information including personal information, in a reasonable manner and as necessary for the business transfer, provided that the receiving party agree to respect the personal data in a way consistent with applicable data protection laws.
MTC MARKETING RESEARCH SOLUTIONS subscribes to an online system designed with your data privacy rights in mind and gives you an easy way to exercise these rights. You may edit your online profile, and there is a Privacy Dashboard available to you which allows you to perform additional actions to help ensure the protection of your privacy. You can also submit privacy-related requests directly to us from the Dashboard.
As MTC MARKETING RESEARCH SOLUTIONS shopper or Contractor from anywhere in the world and especially if you are an EU resident, the GDPR provides you with specific rights.
Your specific rights under the GDPR include:
- Right to request access: You have the right to access and review your data.
- Right to rectification: You have the right to correct or change the personal data you provide us.
- Right to erasure (“Right to be forgotten”): You have the right to request that the personal data you provided be erased.
- Right to data portability: You also have the right to obtain a copy of the personal data that you provided to us in a machine-readable format.
- Right to withdraw consent: Where we have obtained specific permissions from you, you have the right to revoke those consents.
- Right to restrict processing: You have the right to limit how we are processing your data.
- Right to object: You have the right to object to how we are processing your data.
- Right to deactivate account: You have the right and ability to deactivate your SHOPPER account at any time by logging into the profile that you created on our portal known as https://mtc.shopmetrics.com / https://www.mtcresearchshops.com and then selecting disable button. In some cases you may elect to unsubscribe to receiving auto alerts for opportunities, newsletters, blogs, chats and other services.
- Right to re-assign: Understand that a long period of not signing into an account will result in automatic deactivation of your profile. Automatic deactivation is set at six months of none activity. Should this happen, and none activity is the only reason for deactivation, Contractor has the right to reassign. However, Contractor will have to go through the whole process of registering for a new account as the information cannot be retrieved.
- Right to complain to a supervisory authority: You have the right to complain to a supervisory body, available at:
You have the right not to be subject to decisions based solely on automated processing, including profiling, which produces legal or other significant effects for you.
If a personal data breach occurs and is likely to result in a high risk to your rights and freedoms, we will notify you and the appropriate supervisory authority in a timely fashion.
Explaining Cookies in detail.
What is a cookie?
- A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes a unique identifier that is sent to your computer or mobile phone (referred to here as a "device") browser from a website's computer and is stored on your device's hard drive. Each website can send its own cookie to your browser if your browser's preferences allow it, but (to protect your privacy) your browser only permits a website to access the cookies it has already sent to you, not the cookies sent to you by other sites. Many sites do this whenever a user visits their website in order to track online traffic flows.
- Cookies record information about your online activities or preferences and allow companies to tailor the websites to your interests. Users have the opportunity to set their devices to accept all cookies, to notify them when a cookie is issued, or not to receive cookies at any time.